Tinctures and lip balms and creams… oh my! There are so many CBD products on the market that it can make your head spin. Most products are fairly easy to understand, but what in the world is a CBD concentrate? Commonly called CBD dabs, products like our CBD Shatter and CBD Crumble are terpene-infused CBD in a highly concentrated form. These products are meant to be consumed by vaporizing and inhaling them.
Why should I dab CBD?
Studies suggest that vaporizing CBD is one of the more bioavailable ways to consume CBD. Bioavailability is defined as the degree and rate at which a substance is absorbed into a living system or is made available at the site of physiological activity. Since the CBD vapor is absorbed directly into your bloodstream through your lungs, the wait time for any potential effects is relatively low.
One of the other major benefits of dabbing CBD is it can offer the best options to refine your CBD experience. While most tinctures will just offer CBD in a convenient oil form, they will more or less be uniform in terms of effect. CBD concentrates, on the other hand, are infused with terpenes, which enhance your baseline CBD experience.
How to dab CBD
There are a few different methods to dab CBD, from old school glass to modern e-devices. Each method will yield the same results, it will mostly just come down to what best fits your lifestyle!
Requirements: Glass rig, dab nail, butane torch, dab tool
Description: This method is best for people who are experienced cannabis users. The initial setup will require some upfront investment to get rolling. If you already have a water pipe that you use for flower, you can just purchase a nail that will sit in place of the bowl. This method is great for consumers who enjoy “the ritual” of smoking, but may be looking to reduce their THC intake.
- Turn on your torch and aim the flame directly at the nail. Most people will heat the nail until it begins turning red-hot. If you’re using an electronic nail, please consult your product’s manual.
- Once the nail is hot, turn off your torch. It’s recommended to let titanium nails cool for about 10 seconds and quartz nails about 45 seconds so the surface temperature isn’t too hot.
- Take your dabber, apply the dab directly on the nail inside the dome, and inhale slowly. Rotating the dabber tip on the nail can help you prevent wasting any oil stuck to the dabber.
Requirements: Device rated for concentrate use
Description: This is the best method for people who are looking to try something new but are intimidated by the thought of vaporizing something. E-devices are sleek, easy to use, and can help even the most inexperienced consumer vaporize CBD in a way that feels comfortable. When shopping for a device, just make sure the device intended for concentrates, NOT regular vape juice.
Directions (please consult user manual of your device for more specific information):
- Fully charge device before use
- Remove glass mouthpiece and fill with water
- Turn Phang on by clicking fire button 5 times, LEDs will blink to confirm power is on
Click fire button 3 times to change voltage. We recommend the blue LED which is medium power
- Remove bottom cap from device to expose vape tip
- Hold open concentrate container with non-dominant hand, device with dominant hand
- Touch tip to concentrate, hold fire button while tip is touching concentrate, and inhale through mouthpiece. Think of it as using device like a straw, as device will vaporize on one end while you inhale through the other.
Requirements: Glass pipe, material such as tobacco or marijuana in a legal state
Description: This method is a simple way to use CBD concentrates to supplement your current smoking routine. The flame of a lighter will be enough to vaporize the concentrate and combo a CBD bonus while you smoke. The concentrates cannot be smoked alone in this way, as they will melt and go straight through the hole in the bowl. They need a smoke-able material under them for this method.
- Prepare your smoke-able material in your preferred method
Pack the bowl with your smoke-able material
- Sprinkle CBD concentrate over the top of the bowl
- Using a lighter, smoke bowl to desired level of effect
Other uses for CBD Dabs
While all of our concentrates are already “activated” (meaning they can be ingested orally and they’ll work), the crumble and shatter are best consumed by being either vaporized, smoked, or dabbed. If you are wanting to give our concentrates a try without smoking them, there are a couple other ways you can use them.
Our concentrates can be added to a recipe to infuse your dish with CBD and terpenes. Keep in mind, CBD is not water soluble. You will need to add it to a component of a dish that uses an oil or fat, and heat it to melt the concentrate. The easiest way to do this would be to incorporate the concentrate into a sauce for your dish.
If you have been researching making your own CBD tincture, our concentrates can be used for that as well! One gram of our shatter in 30ml of carrier oil will make a terpene-infused tincture that is around 33mg CBD/ml. One gram of our crumble in 30ml of carrier oil will make a terpene infused tincture that is around 27mg CBD/ml.
Still have questions?
When trying anything new, it can be intimidating to get started. If you still have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us on our live chat in the bottom right corner of this page or through our contact form. Our customer service team is happy to help you make an informed decision, and give you peace of mind about your CBD routine!